Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Significant Thought

On Monday I mentioned that on my way to work I had a significant thought. I know you've been tapping your toes wondering what it was. Tap no more.



Me and BJ car pooled for the first time into Little Rock on Monday, so I dropped him off at school at 8, and then drove over the river to North Little Rock to where I work. I got here early, as usual (it's an awesome new habit I have). 

And on my way I heard a song that I love---it's country--and every time I hear it it makes me  think about the things I've tried so hard to achieve. It's by the Eli Young band, and it's called Even If It Breaks Your Heart. 


Warning: I'm about to get a little corny. 

This song has made me hopeful with my life, many times. Mainly my career, because it came out when I was failing at job searching. I'm in a field that kind of sucks right now in the job area. It took me so long to get to where I am right now. It's not my ultimate-end-all goal, but its an effing wonderful start and I cannot convey to you through this blog post how happy I am to have this job. I wouldn't have gotten here if I hadn't kept trying though. 

The song says: 

Some dreams stay with you forever,
Drag you around but bring you back to where you were.
Some dreams keep on gettin' better,
Gotta keep believin' if you wanna know for sure.


Keep on dreamin', even if it breaks your heart. 




That's all I've done with my job search. Hope, get my heart broken. Hope again, and more heart break. But really that's what I did with hoping to meet a man like my husband. Hope, and heart break. But when I found him MY GOD was it worth the wait. 

So, getting to my point---- 

Here's the thought I had--all this determination and hope and love I have for my marriage and my career, why isn't it the same with my health? My weight loss? 

I mean..... to enjoy my marriage and my job I need to be alive, and preferably healthy, really healthy, long term kind of healthy so that heart disease doesn't kill me before I see my grand/great-grand babies. 

So why is it that I work so hard on my marriage and my career, daily, but cannot get that same kind of passion back into getting stronger, thinner, fitter? 

My health/weight loss is in the group of things that will make my life one that I am in love with.  I've got an amazing marriage--the strong relationship I have with my husband amazes me all the time. I've got the job I want now. The only major category of my life that needs some attention is my health (which will really start with weight loss, if you're wondering why I'm grouping those two things together. I need to lose another 15-20 lbs to be in a healthy weight range)

It takes the same kind of attention, maintenance, determination, time, and thought that my marriage and my job both require. It won't always be fun, just like marriage and jobs can not be fun sometimes...But it will be worth it, just like...you guessed it...marriages and jobs. The good will outweigh the work required. 

So that's my thought. My question. Why am I not as determined with my health as I am my marriage or my career? 

(Not saying health or weight loss should be more important than a marriage, but it should be up there somewhere at the near top, you can't enjoy life from a hospital bed. Don't send me hate mail about how I'm advocating for people to only worry about their health and weight and push their religion, marriage, social life, career, etc. aside. That is NOT what I'm saying)

I didn't mean for this thought/question to have an answer to it. It was just meant to provoke some thoughts about priorities and goals. If I put as much thought and work into my health as I do other areas of my life..... then I would already be at my goal weight, able to run for an hour straight and lifting some shocking amount of weight. I would not be worried about heart disease, blood pressure or cholesterol. And that, is where I want to be. 


No comments: