Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Salsa Chicken Tacos


Another recipe you guys.

Yesterday morning before I left for work I put a liner in my crock pot (best invention), turned it on low, and dumped in these things:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 carton reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 ish packet of taco seasoning
3/4 jar of salsa
salt and pepper

And left it.

BJ was at home, and I had him check it to make sure I put enough liquid in it since it was the first time I made it. It was fine with the 1/2 carton of broth.

When it was time for dinner, I had BJ shred the chicken and then I added the 1/4 jar of salsa that was left into the shredded meat. To make sure the leftovers didn't dry out I added some of the juice from the crock pot--it's tomato-ey and thick and smells amazing.

So other stuff you might need for tacos:  
tortillas (We used whole wheat tortillas that are 120 calories each)
shredded cheese
lettuce
tomato
avocado/guacamole
sour cream
green onions

whatever you like.

The chicken filling is really low in calories -- My version was made with around 12 ounces of meat, and I used Great Value brand medium chunky salsa. It makes around 8 tacos at 83 calories a serving.
EIGHTY THREE.

Crazy right? Anyway. The meat was so good--and if you've been reading this blog long you know I'm def not a meat person. I plan on using the leftovers in a Pinterest recipe tonight for chicken enchilada pasta (another night of not really cooking anything, except noodles!)
It could also be used in burritos, chimichangas, nachos, salads, sandwiches... you get the idea.
And all I did was dump stuff in my crock pot.


1 comment:

Lauryn Roth said...

that looks seriously SO GOOD!!! I am totally going to have to make that, 83 calories too. awesomesauce!!