Monday, May 20, 2013

Cold Tortellini Salad Recipe


Feeds: 4-8 people. Depending on if this is a meal alone (4-6 people), if you have it with bread, or if its a side dish (8 people), etc

Time:15 minutes 

Calories: 1/6 of this recipe is around 489 calories (that's a large serving). 

Ingredients: 
1 family size package of cheese tortellini (found in deli or freezer section, I used wal-mart's marketside brand from deli section, multi colored/cheese filled ) 
1 Bag of spinach (I used 3/4 bag of marketside brand)
Fresh basil (as much as you like)
1 package Cherry tomatoes 
1 can black olives (I used great value brand)
1/2-1 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese (I used Digiorno brand in deli section)
1/2-3/4 cup Italian dressing (I used Ken's steakhouse Northern Italian Tomato Basil dressing)
Salt/pepper 

Feel free to alter the amounts of each  ingredient, depending on what you and your family like. You could add salami, shredded rotisserie chicken or pepperoni. Or marinated artichoke hearts. 

Directions: 
1. Boil pasta as directed on package. You don't want it too mushy, so be sure not to let it overlook. Drain/cool. 

2. Cut everything up: Cut olives in half (good way to check for pits), cut tomatoes in half, give the spinach a rough chop, julienne the basil. That's really all the "work."


3. In a large bowl (I used a large Tupperware container with a lid) add all ingredients. Stir to coat with Italian dressing and cheese. Then just add salt/pepper if you think it needs it--and you're done! 

You can eat it immediately, or store it in the fridge to eat later (it'll taste better this way, where the veggies/pasta can marinate in the dressing). I used a container with a lid so that I could shake it up, and because I suck at using Saran Wrap. 

I made this Sunday night to have for dinner on Monday. So that means no cooking when I get home tonight ...after we run!! (And we'll probably use paper plates. Even better!) I'll pack the leftovers in my lunch this week. I love recipes like this!!

Muscle mania update will be up later tonight! Let's get this week over with already!!  Laters. 


No comments: