Monday, April 29, 2013

Last Back on Track April post and lots of foodie pics

I just typed a super long post and the blogger app deleted everything except the pictures when I uploaded it. 
alsdkgh ;aohrg;uahergdfgnaierbn'aierbn
Just had to tell someone. 

Happy Monday players! I'm off work today, but I have plenty to do. I'll be going to my grandma's house to clean for her first. Then I'll be going to my parents house to pick up some supplies I need to make some birthday cakes for this weekend. Then I'll drive an hour back home and deal with packing lunches for this week. I need to do L1D7 of the 30DS too at some point. BLAH. Long day. 

This is the last Monday in April, and that means the Back on Track April is coming to an end. I would say that it has been a success though!

Weekend wrap up. 
Friday I was at a school field trip event and was on my feet playing washers with 5th-6th graders, and I burned around 1200 calories. Seriously. Check my instagram--I took a photo of my HRM at the end of the day. 

Friday night was my father-in-laws bday dinner at a Mexican place...which I would normally be pumped about...but let's just say the quality of their meat caused me to not eat much.  The Dos Equis amber was good though, so there's that. So happy BJ had Friday off so I got to see him an extra night!! 

Saturday me and Beej did C25K W1D2. It was a great run. The sun was behind a thick layer of clouds and it was breezy. We both enjoyed it, and I really liked having someone to run with. I felt great afterwards and I never really got winded or tired. We probably could've kept going! But we had places to be, so we hit the showers. {Literally. There are 2 showers in the master bath so he has his, and I have mine, ha.}

Saturday night we got ready to go to a pizza place in Little Rock to meet BJ's future classmates. He wasn't nervous, but this picture would make you think he was. 



I laugh every time I look at it. Can't get him to be serious in front of a camera. Ever. 

We got home a lot later than we meant to I think. We had a good time though--the pizza was amazing. We shared  the 'victory garden' pizza that had broccoli, peppers, asparagus and cheese. So grateful I'm not married to one of those men that HAS TO HAVE MEAT AT EVERY MEAL. Like my dad. ha. None of the other boy classmates came to this dinner, so BJ was the only "male" student that came. ....Yep. 

When we finally got home I remembered I wanted to take a photo of myself for BJ to put on the blog. I hear readers like to see who is talking. So BJ took a few photos, and I guess I didn't realize when he started actually taking photos ...because I sure was going on about something in a few of them. Those silly photos will be at the bottom of this post, and no I wasn't drunk.

Here's one I took of myself though. I'm not real photogenic so when I get a photo that looks okay, I get real excited. It's also nice that I don't have a chunk face anymore. It's easier to get better photos when your face isn't a chunk.


That's me! 

Sunday we slept in late and hung around the house all day. My favorite kind of day. Then we did C25K W1D3 late in the afternoon, like around 6:30 in the last hour of sunlight. It was breezy and pretty, and BJ KILLED IT. Like, I was a little put out with how fast those long legs could take him. We stayed close ish together during the walks, and he ran a few strides ahead of me during the runs. 
But for the last one he just decided to sprint it. 
Here he is murdering the last 60 second run.



Can you even see him?? Exactly. 

So, do y'all know what all those workouts mean?? It means that I worked out 5 times last week, with one official rest day and one day where I burned 1200 calories at work. I would say that this back on track project has been a complete success. It feels good to be working out again. 

On to the food. I know that's the real reason you're here. You ain't gotta lie to kick it. 

Bacon Avocado Pasta


BJ said this was the best thing he'd ever eaten. He said there might be a "foodgasm." I agreed..it was so good. 


Ingredients 
Bow tie pasta 
6-8 slices center cut bacon 
1-2 avocado
Cherry tomatoes 
Basil (fresh or dried works)
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Lemon juice 
2 cloves garlic
Shaved parmesan 
Salt/pepper 



Directions
Cook the pasta according to the box directions. I used Barilla [with extra fiber] bow tie pasta--about half a box. Cook the bacon, drain and crumble it. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Cube an avocado. Mince the garlic.In a bowl, combine everything (the tomatoes, avocado, bacon, lemon juice, parmesan, garlic, basil, olive oil) and toss to coat-- you gotta make sure the avocado is coated or it'll turn brown. Top with extra shaved cheese and season with salt/pepper to your liking. Then eat it. 



Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats 
We had this Sunday morning. I love waking up and having breakfast already ready to eat. And I love the crock pot liner I use when I make these, because there's no clean up. Ain't nobody got time to scrub. 


This time I decided to cook them plain and add toppings in the morning. 
It was way yummy.

Ingredients 
Steel cut oats 
Water
Slow cooker 
Slow cooker liner --USE THIS. Otherwise, too messy.
And toppings: anything you want really, I used bananas, peanut butter and honey.

Directions
Put a slow cooker liner in your slow cooker.
Look at the directions on the back of the oats container. I used Quaker Oats brand and it calls for 1 cup oats/4 cups water. So I measured that out and dumped it into the slow cooker. I stirred it around, and then I turned it on low, and went to bed. 
[If you plan on sleeping in, you may want to turn your slow cooker to "keep warm" instead of low so the oats don't cook too long.]
Cook for 6-8 hours. Wake up, stir the oats. Put some in a bowl, top it with some yummy stuff, and then eat it. I topped mine with a banana, honey and natural peanut butter. 

You can also add in apple slices, some dried cranberries, cinnamon, etc. before the oats cook so that you have soft apples/fruit/seasoning in your oats. You can basically pair anything with this. Dried apricots, raisins. Or add fresh fruit to your bowl right before you eat. 



Taco Pizza

I made this on Saturday after our run. It was pretty tasty! 



Ingredients 
Pillsbury pizza dough (whole wheat)
refried beans (I bought vegetarian)
1 lb ground beef
taco seasoning
2 cups cheese (cheddar/mexican blend)
Toppings: tomatoes, green onions, black olives, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa. 

Directions
Bake the crust according to package directions.
Cook the ground beef with the taco seasoning according to packet directions
Top the baked crust with refried beans that have been warmed up a little in the microwave 
Top the beans with the beef
Add the cheese
Pop back in the oven until the cheese melts 
Cut it, add your toppings and eat it. 



The food I've been making on the weekends has kept us from eating out like we normally would. I mean, this weekend we went out twice for 'events' but it has been awhile since we've gone out or even ordered a pizza. It's a good thing. 





Lastly, we are to the photos BJ took of me. Enjoy.  













That last picture sums up how I feel about Mondays.
Later guys!! 

1 comment:

Lauryn Roth said...

hahah you are so cute and i love the backdrop you decided on! Man you are making me hungry with those pics, i want to make all of those recipes, FOR REAL! esp the pizza and oatmeal...oh man.