Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday Link Up and New Year Ideas




 Today I'm starting a weekly link up with Erin LeBigStar at She's A Big Star, and Alex at Skinny Jean Pilgrimage.

As you already know if you follow me on Instagram (or read my last post on No Drink December), I hit the 30 lbs lost mark! AHH!

This morning I weighed 155.6. I cannot tell you how awesome it is to see the 150's on the scale everyday. Yeah I weigh myself almost every day. It is an AMAZING feeling to know I've accomplished that much! Although the 150's decade has worn me out (seems to be my toughest) I am still happy just to be in a more manageable weight range. I feel so much better about myself these days, and my general attitude reflects that. I'm sure my husband/friends/fam are thankful.

I'm excited to be done with a workout tonight. (ha, yeah, to be done with it, not to actually go and do it...) But I'm dreading dealing with the New Year's Resolution crowd at the gym.  It's my usual day to go "run/walk a few miles and let the elliptical give me hell," but the memory of last year's January crowd of new faces makes me cringe. My small-town gym only has so many machines--and last January there were people literally standing waiting for a dreadmill. With snow/rain still hanging out on the roads I'm not about to kill myself trying an outside run. I do this for fun--to make myself feel good--not so that I will hate my life. So the gym it is, and the crowds I will face. 

Fortunately, I already have a 30 lb lead on this year. And I'm not scared of losing the rest. And that, in itself, is the biggest thing I've accomplished lately.



Onto my ideas for the New Year.


I want to share something I plan on using next year (I'm kind of already using it...) to stay motivated.

I bought a .50 cent 2-year planner from Dollar General. Who even knew you could find something for 50 cents?! Cute polka dots right?


I'm going to use this little cutie for tracking my weight, my doctor appointments, and 5ks I am running or might be able to run in my area. Basically health-related stuff.

Something I did with this planner to keep myself motivated: I wrote on some months that "This time last year you weighed ___"

Example: I started this journey on May 2, 2012. So on May 2, 2013 I wrote what I weighed in 2012.  The goal is to be able to see how far I've come in a year.

In May 2013 I can not only see my starting weight, but there's a reminder to have my annual physical. I wrote in the notes section that in May 2012 I had high lipids and was told to take fish oil.

So in November 2013, I can see that my weight was 159.6 the year before, my 5k time was 39:49, and there's a 10k I think I'd like to run.

The point of this is to be able to look back and see "a year ago I weighed X amount of pounds more than I do now." Or "My 5k time is down 5 minutes compared to last year." And "It's time for my physical or 6 months dentist appointment." You get the point. I may have over explained that one. Apologies.


As for other New Years goals, I have these:
1. Complete a 10k
2. Get down to my goal weight (130-135) ...and maintain it
3. Make a Griffin family emergency binder
 

I'm still looking for other NY Resolution ideas. I try to keep them simple and almost vague so that I'll be sure to stick with them.  Seems like if I put too many deadlines/details into things I get frustrated and feel like a failure.

Thanks for reading guys! I hope your New Year's celebrations were fabulous and that you've recovered from your hangovers.





1 comment:

Shesabigstar said...

Ahhh, you've hit the 30 lb. loss mark... that's my first goal and I can't WAIT to get there! New years gym crowds are the worst... my sister gave me her treadmill so I'm using that at home. It gets boring, but it's free so I use it. I want to run a 10K this year too... I need to tackle a 5K first though. I did the C25K this summer and then totally just stopped running for the last two months... starting back at the begging now and it stinks to be so far behind when I was doing so well! Oh well! Anyways, cute planner... I need to make a family emergency binder as well!

Thanks for linking up and Happy New Year!