Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Miss USA & Spaghetti Squash Adventure

Let me begin with saying this:

Look how healthy Miss USA (New York) looks! 
She is fit and healthy looking--not like she has starved herself or had any work done. And I love that. I screenshot this photo from my US weekly app. This girl is fit!


Although Miss Arkansas did not make it into the top 15, I was still really excited to watch the pageant. I love watching pageants for the dresses/hair/makeup. Same reasons I watch the award show's red carpets but not the actual award show. I can always read who won later!

Moving on to my spaghetti squash adventure.

I made this recipe from something I saw on pinterest--it's called a Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake from Fit Sugar.

It was a lot of prep work, at least more work than I'm used to. But it was really tasty--and only 200 ish calories a serving.  I will probably be making this again! 

What I didn't know is that you have to cook the spaghetti squash whole first. I guess I assumed you popped that thing open and it would be ready to go. But no. You have to poke holes in it like a potato and heat it for 8 minutes in the microwave.

While that was microwaving,  I grated a carrot, minced 2 cloves of garlic, chopped three small zucchini (the ones at my store were REALLY SMALL so I used three) and diced a bell pepper. (see what I meant about prep work?!) Then I cooked that stuff in a skillet with 2 tbs olive oil.

 

After the spaghetti squash was done I held it with a towel (because it's effing hot) and sliced it in half. Then I wished BJ was home because I had to scoop out the seeds and it grossed me out. I manned up and scooped the seeds out myself, then shredded it with a fork. I was a little shocked--it really does look like spaghetti! I ended up with about 4 cups.





Next I put the squash, skillet veggies, a chopped tomato and a can of tomato sauce in a casserole dish. You don't have to spray the pan first. I added in most of the cheese (4 ounces mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan) and stirred it all together. Then I topped it with the rest of the cheese and baked it for 30 minutes at 350* It serves 6 portions.



It came out looking like this:




Yum!!

I improvised and made my own garlic/cheese toast with a slice of 45 calorie wheat bread, some garlic salt, 0 calorie spray butter and a little Parmesan. I toasted the bread and put the butter spray, garlic salt and cheese on it and then stuck it in the oven to melt the cheese a little (the oven was turned off, but still warm)




So I had my toast and spaghetti squash concoction with some greens and reduced fat balsamic dressing. It was a good supper!

After it cooled I packed it up to take for lunches or have as dinners this week. If things are already portioned out then that's one less thing to think about.


The finale.


Are you drooling?

This was also a last minute improvisation. My dessert was: melted peanut butter, with a banana chopped up on top, with a little chocolate syrup and whipped cream from a can.
 IT WAS AMAZING.
 Maybe I enjoyed it so much because it's TOM and all I want to do is shove my face with Reese's, or maybe it was just damn good. I'm voting damn good. There wasn't enough chocolate/whipped cream to do real damage, and the peanut butter/banana combo kept me full, so I didn't do any late night snacking.


Tomorrow is WIW, and I'm not scared because I know my weight is janky anyway. Yep, that's me and BJ's new adjective for anything that's screwed up.  I also use it as a verb. Whatever, you can use it to. Tonight I'm getting food ready to go on my work trip (I'll be traveling Thursday night-Saturday night). You'll still get a Fitness Friday post though, don't fret.

Here's some screen shots of the Fit Sugar directions for my spaghetti squash thing if you need the official instructions:




2 comments:

Lauryn Roth said...

Oh that looks sooo yummy!!! I love homemade garlic toast too girl!! I need to try a spaghetti squash!!

hvpooly said...

I'm definitely trying Spaghetti squash this month. I've seen so many great recipes. And that dessert looks amazing!

http://www.cupcakesandcarrots.com/