Monday, December 31, 2012

No Drink December Results/Review

Well guys. No Drink December has wrapped up, thank goodness.

If you aren't aware of what I'm talking about, here's a recap:
It was the end of November, and I was wondering what I could challenge myself with in the next month to maybe prevent a few lbs from packing on. I wondered if I could go an entire month without drinking. So I decided to try it.  I announced it in a special little facebook group I'm in, and I got a lot of "girl you crazy" and "not a chance" responses.  There were a few people that attempted it with me I think, but we didn't text/email/fb each other about it or anything. I was on my own I guess!

Before I give you the cold hard facts, I'd like to point out that neither my husband or myself work at places that have alcohol-type Christmas parties, and our families don't drink during the holidays either--because we live in the Bible Belt and that's life here in the south. 

I'd also like to point out that there wasn't a get-rid-of-all-the-alcohol day before this started.  We went out to eat still and my husband still had beer/whiskey in the house. So there was still temptation.  The night of November 30 I had a few sips of a Bud Light my husband was drinking, and until Christmas Eve that was all I had.  

(In case you missed that post, I realized that we started a tradition when we got married to have a certain kind of red wine while we open presents Christmas Eve, and we had only been married for one Christmas when I thought up this challenge, so I sort of forgot...therefore, No Drink December got changed to: No Drink December Until Christmas Eve and Then Not Again Until New Year's Eve..which was still challenge enough, I promise!) 

So here are the results:
  • I did not drink ONE DROP from December 1-23
    (which I feel is an accomplishment...that's the longest I've gone ever maybe.)
  • Christmas Eve we split a bottle of red wine, and then Christmas morning I had one mini Bailey's in my coffee (100 ml -see picture).   
  • From Christmas afternoon onto December 30 I did not drink a drop. 
Bailey's Mini, comes in a 4 pack!

Now, it is New Year's Eve (6:30 ish p.m.) and I am drinking my favorite $4 bottle of wine. Yep. Classy!
Tisdale Merlot, $3.99 

And here's the stats:
  • December 1, 2012 I weighed  159-160 ish, depending on the time of day. Ha. 
  • December 31, I weighed 155.8.  (WHICH IS MY 30 POUND MARK, HOLLA!) 



So during the course of this experiment I lost 4-5 pounds over 4 weeks.  This is a TAD more than I've been losing (it has slowed down the closer I've gotten to 30 pounds lost). Was it worth it? No. Not in my opinion.  Even though I got to eat more of my calories instead of budgeting for drinking part of them, it isn't something I will do again.  I do feel better! That is one benefit. But that could be because I've been killing it in the gym, and not because I haven't drank lately. In the future, I will probably watch just how MUCH I drink as usual, but I will not be avoiding it like the plague again. 

The things in my daily life I have changed to be able to lose thirty pounds and still enjoy life have been manageable.  I enjoy this lifestyle. I'm not looking to make myself miserable or to try to make changes I can't stick with only to fall off the wagon completely. 

At least now I know that a glass of wine or a couple of beers are not major set backs and I can enjoy it without my conscience being a little bitch in the background. 

There you have it guys, I did the grunt work for you.  Thanks for reading--really! And I hope you have a safe and happy new years! 







3 comments:

Casey Dozhier said...

Great job !!!

Amanda said...

I love how absolutely honest you are about this. I too have thought about cutting out alcohol when it comes to the weight loss game... But I love my alcohol too much, I mean have you had whipped creme vodka and sunkist?! It's amazeballs :) Thanks for the honesty, I'll raise my glass to you :)

Lauryn Roth said...

GIRL congrats on the 30 lbs~~~!!!! way to go!!!